"The desert bears only a scathing sun, and nothing more."
"What about mirages?"

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Close To The Finish.

So close
to the surface
so close to breath
but my lungs
collapse
under all the pressure.
So close
I'm flailing
sinking
spluttering
I don't know
how much longer
I'll be in limbo.

- - -

It has been far too long. I've been yearning to write something free of form, free of rules, all my own. University writing is so dry. And it's draining having to think in terms of citations and word count. Thank goodness the semester is coming to a close. I'm almost to the finish line, but I'm out of breath. I hope I've got just one more sprint in me.

I'm hoping to write a lot over Christmas break. I want to write and sleep and not worry about buss times, class times, or due dates. I don't want to think about tuition, outstanding library fees, or the cost of new school supplies. I think the break will be like the first bite of spring air in a world glazed with winter: Warm and invigorating.

1 comment:

  1. No kidding eh? Finish strong and I'm looking forward to some of your new poems.

    ReplyDelete

"Write with our backs to the wind and our faces to the hard, bleaching sun."