"The desert bears only a scathing sun, and nothing more."
"What about mirages?"

Friday, March 11, 2011

Perspective

Who are you,
to say I am wrong?
You can have
your Crusades,
your White Man's Burden,
your Liberal Life
and go back
to where
you've come from.

- - -

The course criteria in Social this year is based pretty heavily on ideologies and perspective. Or, to say more with less, your perspective on ideology. It's got me thinking a lot recently about how we see things differently that people half a world away, and how we as indviduals may never be able to see past our own upbringings. It scares me to think that there's so many cultures, so many traditions, so many languages and colors and nationalities and I'll never be able to fully understand it. I will only be able to view it looking outside in, through a kaleidescope of opinions and bias.

I always thought when I was a kid I'd do a lot of traveling. I can see now, as I'm watching my peers make plans to go off to far away exotic places or stay behind just as I am, all those imaginings may never become tangible. I'm surprisingly okay with that; I have a whole life ahead of me.

1 comment:

  1. You make a good point JB. You'll get more from traveling when you do it for your own reasons. Everyone always does a little European vacation and then they call themselves "worldly" and "knowledgeable." But that's a state of mind you get from understanding people no matter where you go or are.

    ReplyDelete

"Write with our backs to the wind and our faces to the hard, bleaching sun."