"The desert bears only a scathing sun, and nothing more."
"What about mirages?"

Monday, March 22, 2010

Checkered Linoleum.

A cold foot,
on checkered floors.
Deep white and black linoleum.
Step down to this level
because I keep slipping;
falling further
and farther.
Press my cheek
to checkered floors.
What is this,
pounding,
beating,
dark red,
checkered floors.

- - -

This one I really like, because I feel like it captures the idea of never being able to catch yourself, to be always falling and never in control. But I guess you could just look at it and be like; "It's a person falling and hitting their head on the floor." That's plausible too, if you suck. ;P

And on the line 'falling further and farther', that's deliberate. If you haven't read The Elements of Style by William Strunk, then do so. Your words will love you forever afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Write with our backs to the wind and our faces to the hard, bleaching sun."