"The desert bears only a scathing sun, and nothing more."
"What about mirages?"

Thursday, November 11, 2010

TatteredCity.

In the city,
the sun rises
in the east
and sets
in the west.

It sheds light on
tattered streets
with tattered cars,
and tattered people
in tattered bars.

The sun rises
in the east
and sets
in the west
of this urban sprawl.

But all that matters
is the next drink.

- - -

This weekend I'm visiting family down in Calgary. So it's kind of amusing that the Thursday Think Tank on Poets United this week is a prompt on family. I'm sure that by the end of this weekend I'll have plenty to say on that subject.

1 comment:

  1. Don't know if that last line is an observation or a position. All I know is I need a few drinks after visiting family. Also, I like the word "tattered" here. It's sounds great rolling off the tongue. Like when Mick Jagger sings it in "Shattered."

    ReplyDelete

"Write with our backs to the wind and our faces to the hard, bleaching sun."